How to Select the Right Hypnotherapist or Consulting Hypnotist For You

In today’s modern world, more and more people are turning to hypnosis to help with the pressures of life. Choosing the right practitioner can be a confusing process.

Here are a few pointers to help you should you be considering working with a hypnotherapist or professional consulting hypnotist.

Qualifications & Associations

To begin, check out the practitioner’s qualifications. Unfortunately, there are far too many hypnosis practitioners who have received inadequate or only the minimum degree of training. There are ‘schools’ who even offer their qualification in return for a few correspondence lessons and the payment of a fee.

Every truly reputable consulting hypnotist or hypnotherapist will have their qualifications listed on his or her website. Look for people who are accredited members of hypnosis organizations that operate independently of specific schools or groups of schools. Accreditation with a professional body means that the therapist has accomplished a substantial level of training, and has the required experience to treat clients in a professional and competent manner.

You can check the association’s website to see whether membership is open to all suitably qualified hypnotists, or exclusively to graduates of the association’s school or affiliates, since these will have obvious business interests in the association.

In the USA, organizations such as the National Guild of Hypnotists (NGH), the International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association (IMDHA), and the American Council of Hypnotist Examiners (ACHE) are amongst the foremost associations to which qualified practitioners can belong.

In the UK, some of the key organizations to which reputable and well-trained therapists may belong are the Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy (APHP), The General Hypnotherapy Register (GHR), the National Register of Psychotherapists and Counsellors (NRPC), and the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).

In both the UK and the USA, therapists are required to fulfill continuing professional development (CPD) requirements in order to maintain membership in these associations.

Major Sources

An excellent way to find a fully professional, competent hypnotist is to ask around. Check with doctors, family and friends, and ex-clients who have visited a hypnotist or hypnotherapist and got results.

Don’t be afraid to call around and ask questions. You should exercise the same care in choosing your hypnosis practitioner as you would in choosing a new car. Talk to the therapist. Above all, make sure you feel comfortable talking to him or her.

Key Questions To Ask The Hypnotist:

What kind of experience do you have in treating my kind of problem? What is the length of time you have been in practice? What are your qualifications? How soon can I see you? What are your fees? Will you teach me self-hypnosis as part of the treatment?

Key Questions To Ask Yourself:

Does this practitioner seem genuinely interested in my problem and me? Does this person appear to be knowledgeable and really professional? Am I treated with respect? Do I feel accepted? Do I feel heard? Does his or her office feel like a professional haven?

Fees

It’s best not to be overly concerned with the per session rate of a good hypnotherapist or consulting hypnotist. A really low fee may sound attractive, but it really is the total number of sessions that will count in monetary terms. Reflect on how much you would be prepared to invest on your vacation, your teeth. In truth, resolving a troublesome issue can turn even a relatively high fee into a real bargain.

In a good therapeutic relationship you matter; you are heard, understood, accepted and guided to access and strengthen your own inner resources. The hypnotherapist is your ally. Not your friend. Not your business partner. Not your guru. And certainly not your lover.

How Many Sessions?

One of the most frequently asked questions for any consulting hypnotist or hypnotherapist is: how many sessions will it take? While any competent hypnotist will be able to give a rough guide – often in the 2 to 6 session range for most problems – nobody can really predict the exact number of sessions a particular issue will take to resolve. It depends on the way the person responds to the therapy, and to many other variables.

Be assured that hypnosis, when employed by a fully trained and experienced practitioner usually speeds up the therapeutic process enormously. Even highly complex issues that might otherwise take months or even years to resolve can often be dealt with in a matter of weeks, provided the hypnotist knows what he or she is doing.

Success Rate

This is something of a pointless question. Which practitioner would tell you his or her success rate was a mere 5%? And how and when is the success to be verified? And consider this: even if the success rate of a practitioner is 95%, this tells you nothing about your chances of success. For any number of reasons you could fall into the negative 5%. It’s far better to rely on other indicators when deciding which practitioner to work with.

You Can Change

If you truly want and are ready to change, be assured that you can change. And a good consulting hypnotist or hypnotherapist can guide you to the success you deserve.

In a healthy and positive therapeutic relationship you will feel understood and accepted. A good therapist will guide you, helping you to connect with and build your inner resources. Keep in mind that the hypnosis practitioner is your ally. Though friendly, he or she cannot be your friend. They cannot be your personal guru, or your business partner. And it goes without saying that they certainly cannot be your lover.

You owe it to yourself to work only with a truly competent, expertly trained and fully qualified professional hypnosis practitioner.

In the right hands, hypnosis is a wonderful and powerful means of bringing about real change on a permanent basis. Remember to do your research, call around, and then – trust your instincts.

Peter Field is an English hypno-psychotherapist. His hypnotherapist in Birmingham and London offices assist people in making amazing changes in their lives. Peter is also the best-selling author of ‘The Chi of Change‘, a fascinating book about the wonderful world of hypnosis and hypnotherapy.

How to Select the Right Hypnotherapist or Consulting Hypnotist For You